The most difficult part of a weight loss diet is suppressing your appetite. The many restrictions imposed where you completely eliminate some food groups and foods are the reason for this.
Consequently, the body craves for this food and you eventually give in to your body and revert to your old eating habits. A better option that helps with weight loss and snacking is including healthy snacks to your diet, which let you treat your taste buds while keeping a tab on your weight.
So what exactly is a healthy snack, you may ask. Nutritionists, health experts and dieticians define healthy snacks as unprocessed and easy to make snacks that contain 100-200 calories, which are convenient to carry wherever you go and satiate your appetite for a longer period of time.
Here are examples of 5 healthy snacks which you can nibble on and still lose weight.
1. Yoghurt is a healthy weight loss snack as it is high in proteins, which helps curb hunger pangs while building muscles and mass required for sustaining fat burning in the body. Yoghurt should be eaten plain or mixed with fruits and granola and as a cup of yoghurt contains 100 or less calories, it is a great snack for you.
2. Popcorn is one of the healthiest snacks, if prepared correctly and eaten in the right quantity. The air-popped popcorn is fat-free, high-fibre and low in calories. A cup of this popcorn contains only 40 calories, is filling and thus helps prevent binge eating. Of course, popcorn should be prepared without any butter or caramel to help with weight loss.
3. Fresh fruits are also great weight loss snacks as they are not only a rich source of fibre, but are also a power package of nutrients, minerals and vitamins. Fruits like grapes, grapefruit and watermelon have high water content and thus help hydrate the body while suppressing the appetite. The other fruits you can also eat as snacks are apples, oranges and bananas.
4. Nuts help promote weight loss while supplying required fibre to the body to make you feel fuller for a longer period of time. They are also helpful at speeds up metabolism where in your body burns more fat at a faster rate. Though nuts contain fat, it is healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for the body.
5. If you want to lose weight, you should eat as much raw vegetables as possible as they are both healthy and natural snacks. Being in the raw form, its nutrients are retained and the vegetables can satiate you for a longer period of time. While all vegetables cannot be eaten raw, collard greens, cabbage, peas, corn, cucumber and carrots can be eaten plain or tossed in a salad.
Besides these snacks, you can also eat healthy portions of whole-grain crackers, sandwiches, low calorie cheese sticks and fruit smoothies as snacks when hungry, and still lose weight.