While most people are familiar with sandalwood and its skincare benefits, its lesser known counterpart, red sandalwood is also famous for its cosmetic and medicinal uses. The tree is predominantly grown in South India, Philippines and Sri Lanka.
Red sandalwood powder is also known as Rakta Chandana powder, Sappam, Sanderswood Red, Rubywood and Red Saunders. It and has been used in Ayurveda medicine as an anti-acne treatment, wound-healing agent and antiseptic.
For best results, it’s better to use the actual wood. Just rub it on a rough stone slab with water to extract its paste and apply on your face. However as this is not easily available, it’s better to use the powdered form.
Just make sure you buy and use unadulterated powder or else you may end up with an itchy and red face because of an allergic reaction. It’s thus best to buy your powder from reputed shops and brands.
Skin care benefits
Red sandalwood powder has many skin friendly properties. It is popularly used at treating various beauty related problems like acne, aging, pimple, blemishes and irritated skin. Most important, its routine use can help give you healthy, flawless and glowing skin.
Its natural soothing properties also make it useful in treating itchy and sunburned skin. Many people also use the powder to even out their skin tone. In fact, the powder is predominantly used as a face mask to make use of all its skin friendly benefits.
Here are some face mask recipes you can use:
1. For glowing skin, an even skin tone and a flawless complexion, just mix 5 tsp. of red sandalwood powder with 5 tbsp. of coconut milk and 3 tbsp. of almond oil to get a smooth paste. Apply the paste on your face and leave it on for about half an hour before rinsing off with cold water.
2. To get rid of wrinkles, make a face mask by combining some powder with strong steeped and cooled chamomile tea in a 2:1 ratio. Apply the mask to your face and skin to not only get younger looking skin but also to get rid of sun damaged skin. Another face mask to use for wrinkled skin involves mixing the powder with rose water and glycerin. Use the mask regularly for wrinkle-free skin.
3. For nourished and flawless skin, make a face mask mixing half a teaspoon each of neem and the powder with 2 teaspoons of green gram flour and apply to your face. Leave the mask for about 40 minutes or less and then rinse off with cool water.
4. For natural relief from itching and irritated skin, just mix red sandalwood powder with your favorite massage oil and massage as usual. This mixture also helps improve your skin’s firmness and texture.
5. Red sandalwood also helps take out tans and naturally lighten your skin tone. Just apply a pack of the powder with tomato juice and apply to get rid of even acne and dark spots with its regular application.
6. Mix the powder with cabbage juice and apply as a face pack to get rid of acne scars and to tighten your skin. It helps get rid of wrinkles, fine-lines, freckles, dark spots, etc.
7. Red sandalwood can also be used for minimizing body heat. All you have to do is mix the powder with water and spray all over your body. It not only balances your body heat, but also stops skin transmission.
8. If you suffer from excessive oil secretion, a pack of red sandalwood will effectively reduce the excess oils from your face and other skin parts. Mix the powder with lemon juice and apply on the parts of your skin experiencing excess oil secretion.
9. The powder can also be mixed with honey and water to form a paste to use on the face or can be combined with ashwagandha and cosmetic clays or mud to give you a detoxifying facial. It is also extensively used in soaps to give a dark maroon or purple color to the soap.
These are all the benefits you can acquire with the regular use of sandalwood powder on your skin. Regular use of the powder in any of these packs will help give you flawless, healthy, younger looking and glowing skin all the time.