The exact cause of the chronic skin inflammation problem eczema is not known. Some of its triggers are allergies, irritants, hormonal changes, microbes, weather changes, excessive stress and other factors.
Its ugly scars that all this leaves behind however does take some time to disappear. Besides the usual medicines or lotions your doctor prescribes, you can also try these natural home remedies to lighten or eliminate ugly eczema scars.
1. The soothing, antibacterial and antiseptic properties of honey make it suitable for use in treating various skin problems including eczema. Apply honey to the affected skin area after thoroughly washing it. Or make a scrub of honey and crystallized sugar and then gently scrub it on the affected area for a few minutes and rinse off. Repeat a few times a week till the scars disappear.
2. Apple cider vinegar can reduce eczema and its scars through its antifungal, astringent and antibacterial properties. Drink a mixture of two teaspoons each of apple cider vinegar and raw honey in a glass of water thrice a day. It helps boost the body immunity and thus reduce skin inflammation and scarring.
Apple cider vinegar can also be applied to the skin. But don’t apply apple cider vinegar directly to the scars; mix one part with one part water to reduce itchiness and dryness.
3. Indian lilac or neem helps reduce the redness, inflammation and irritation of eczema. Make a paste mixing a teaspoon each of crushed neem leaves and turmeric and some sesame oil and apply to the affected areas. Leave it on for about half an hour, and rinse off. Repeat every day.
4. A regular oatmeal bath helps soothe your skin and relieves any itching. Moreover, the natural cleansing agents of oatmeal help reduce scars. To make a bath, grind one or two cups of oatmeal in a blender or coffee grinder and add to your warm bath water. Then soak yourself in the bath for 2030 minutes and pat yourself dry using a soft towel. Repeat a maximum of thrice a day, based on the severity of your condition.
5. Aloe Vera is another popular home remedy for eczema scars as its antiinflammatory and antimicrobial properties help reduce irritation and lighten dark scars. Apply aloe Vera gel a few times every day on the affected areas till you are satisfied with results. You can also combine equal portions of aloe Vera gel and vitamin E oil to make a thin paste to apply on the affected skin. Leave overnight and wash off in the morning with warm water every day.
6. Baking soda makes a great exfoliant for removing dead skin cells without any itchiness and also reduces itching. Make a paste of two tablespoons baking soda and water and apply to affected areas. Rinse off with warm water after a few minutes.
7. The antiinflammatory properties of olive oil makes it useful for relieving eczema symptoms. It also softens the skin, reduces redness and fades scars. Massage the affected area gently with extravirgin olive oil and place a hot washcloth on the area till the cloth cools.
Wipe away excess oil with lukewarm water once or twice a day. Coconut oil can be used the same way if olive oil is not available.
8. Lemon juice’s acidic property makes it a natural antiseptic which helps lighten old eczema scars. Its vitamin C also helps your body create new skin cells while brightening skin tone. Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected region twice a day and leave it on for 1015 minutes. You can also exfoliate the skin with a mixture of a part of lemon juice and a part sugar a few times a week before sleeping.
9. Cocoa butter helps lighten dark scars as it is a restorative salve. Apply it on the scars every day and the scars will grow lighter over time. For better effects, use pure cocoa butter and not lotions containing cocoa butter. Shea butter too can be used for eliminating scars. It is rich in vitamins A and E and keratin, which help rejuvenate the skin and fade scars.
10. Fish oil helps heal eczema scars as its omega3 fatty acids heal all inflammatory symptoms associated with eczema. So take 1,200 mg of fish oil thrice a day to get rid of eczema scars. Also including fatty fish like tuna, salmon and mackerel to your diet helps.
You have to try all these natural remedies to find the most effective one for removing your eczema scars. Just remember that the scars won’t vanish in a day or two. You need patience, and should follow these remedies diligently to finally notice any difference.