You most probably drink a cup of coffee for an energy perk, at the end of a long day. While coffee does give a spike of energy, it’s only because of its caffeine. A much better and healthy alternative is a glass of carrot juice which not only gives you instant energy, but long lasting health benefits.
While you can eat raw carrot, some find it difficult to eat. However carrot juice just has to be drunk to reap its benefits. Moreover, only 5% of the beta-carotene or color pigment of carrot is assimilated and used in the body when eaten raw. On the contrary, it’s easier for the body to absorb it in juice form.
What’s in a glass of carrot juice?
Carrot juice has everything to give your body a blast of energy. It not only contains about 94 kcal, it also contains about 22g of carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 9g of fat, 2g proteins, minerals like sodium, iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium and vitamins A, B, C, E and K.
Benefits of drinking carrot juice
There are many benefits to drinking carrot juice on a regular basis. They are:
1. Improved eyesight – The beta carotene in carrot not only gives it its color, but also improves eyesight. A complex vitamin compound, it yields vitamin A when broken down, which in turn increases the eye’s retinal power to improve your eyesight. This is why computer programmers, game testers, etc. are advised to drink carrot juice.
2. Improved skin – Beta carotene and vitamin A smoothens the skin to remove dryness and keep your hair and nails healthy. Carrot juice is also rich in antioxidants which helps with tissue maintenance and also protects the skin from damage when exposed to the sun for a long time.
Carrot juice also improves the skin shade to reddish colors with either its regular consumption or by applying juice paste on the skin. As carrot juice has traces of vitamin K, it helps regenerate damaged cells. It’s thus possible to accelerate your physical recovery from an injury by regularly drinking carrot juice.
3. Reduces cancer risks – Carrots are rich in the antioxidants carotenoids and are cancer fighter elements which help promote normal cell growth and maintenance. By controlling irregular growth of cells, these carotenoids also help prevent various types of cancer like prostate, oral, breast and bladder cancers.
4. Liver detoxification – Carrot juice is a great detoxifier which helps improve blood quality by cleansing out the liver and gall bladder. Carrot juice is especially useful in those suffering from jaundice, which damages the liver and the functioning of its associated organs.
Moreover, the pale colored skin characteristic of jaundice is because of an imbalance of bile flow through the liver and gall bladder. By detoxifying the liver, carrot juice thus helps improve the skin condition and color.
5. Improved body immunity – Carrot juice helps fight against various infections like tonsillitis, skin infections and digestive tract infections. It is its antioxidants and carotenoids which help improve body immunity.
6. During pregnancy – The beta-carotene contents make carrot juice great for pregnant mothers. Moreover, carrot juice enriches the milk supply in lactating women.
7. Instant energy – Carrot juice has sufficient natural sugars to provide instant energy.
8. Strong bones and teeth – The phosphorus, calcium and sodium in carrot juice increases the bone density and it thus great for those with weak skeletons and loose teeth.
How to drink
Carrot juice can be drunk in its native form or mixed with other juices and spices. Mixing orange juice and mint with carrot juice gives a famous mock tail while adding some ginger helps improve its taste and health. Even adding rock or plain salt to the juice gives it a tangy-sugary taste.
While it’s better to drink the juice fresh, tetra pack juices and cans are also commercially successful. The best way to drink carrot juice is in a freezer.
A word of caution
While carrot juice is one of the best vegetable juices, there are some precautions for some people. Carrot juice contains about 80 calories and as most of this comes from sugars, it can be a concern for those suffering from sugar related health issues.
Moreover, as the juice is a blend of various natural compounds, people allergic to one of them will also be allergic to the juice. It’s thus advised that these people don’t drink carrot juice. Last, but not least, carrot juice is a natural drink which proves beneficial if taken in limited quantities. Unless suggested by a doctor, it’s not advisable to drink more than a glass a day.