Do you feel embarrassed to remove your shoes at the end of the day for the smell it emits? Have you lost some friends because of this smell? If yes, it’s not surprising as foot odor implies you practice bad foot hygiene to those around you.
Foot odor is medically known as bromhidrosis and is triggered by bacteria found in your moist and warm feet, shoes and socks. All the sweat glands on the soles of the feet produce sweat comprising of water, minerals, fat, sodium chloride and the acids produced by your body’s metabolism. With the bacteria found in the shoes and socks, these sweaty secretions just break down and eliminate all the smell that makes people turn green.
You no longer have to worry about your foot odor. Just follow these home remedies and your feet will be kept drier and sweeter smelling for a long time to come.
1. First and foremost, it’s important that you wash your feet well with deodorant soap, and dry them well, to wash away the bacteria. This prevents the bacteria and your feet’s sweaty secretions breaking down and eliminating a foul smell.
2. In case of strong foot odor, you will have to bathe your feet several times a day however if you find your feet becoming scaly and cracked, reduce the number of washings.
3. If you have extra sweaty feet, add half a cup of kosher salt to a quart of water and soak your feet in the solution. Don’t rinse, but dry your feet after soaking as salt has a drying effect on the skin.
4. Shake some deodorizing foot powder with aluminum chloride hexahydrate on your feet for relief from foot odor. Even the deodorant or antiperspirant you use on armpits can help remove foot odor. However while deodorants with antibacterial agents kill bacteria and eliminate any odor produced when sweat meets the bacteria, they don’t stop the sweat. Antiperspirants however stop both the smell and sweat.
5. Try different types of socks to find out which keeps your feet driest. Some say that socks with natural fibers like cotton or wool are the best while others prefer acrylic. It’s better if you change your socks at least once every day and don’t wear the same pair of socks two days in a row without washing.
6. If possible, use open shoes like sandals as they allow air onto your feet and evaporates sweat. If you can’t wear sandals, choose leather or canvas shoes as they breathe a bit; avoid shoes lined with solid rubber or synthetic materials.
7. Deodorize your shoes by sprinkling a few teaspoons of baking soda inside it to absorb moisture and hide odors. Mix 3 tablespoons baking soda with 3 tablespoons ground, dried sage leaves for added fragrance. Keep this mixture in an airtight glass jar and sprinkle a tbsp. of the mixture in each shoe after removing your shoes for the day.
8. Baking soda can also be used in a foot bath. Just add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to a bowl of warm water and soak your feet in it every night for a month.
9. Another option to keep shoes deodorized and dry is sprinkling its inside with 12 teaspoons cornstarch.
10. Adding salt or Epsom salt to water for a foot soak helps. Add a few teaspoons of salt to a tub of warm water and soak your feet in it for ten minutes.
11. Even soaking your feet in apple cider or plain vinegar bath a few times a week helps. Don’t soak your feet in concentrated vinegar; add 1/3 cup of vinegar to a bowl of warm water and soak your feet for 1015 minutes.
12. Mash a 12 inch ginger piece into a pulp and put into a handkerchief or piece of gauze. Soak it in hot water for some time and then rub the resulting ginger liquid on each foot every night after your shower. Do this for a fortnight and see the difference.
13. You can also try soaking your feet in black tea as its tannic acid has astringent properties which can prevent your feet from perspiring. To make this soak, brew 5 bags of black tea in a quart of boiling water. When cool, add some ice cubes, if its summertime, and soak your feet in this iced tea for toes bath for 2030 minutes. Try these home remedies for foot odor. Some of them will surely provide some relief from the foul smell from your feet and let you remove your shoes with confidence amidst anyone.