Psyllium husk is growing in popularity worldwide mainly of treating common gastrointestinal diseases. However little do people know that psyllium husk or isabgol as it’s sometimes called, offers many more benefits besides improved digestive health.
1. A wonderful mix of soluble and insoluble fiber, psyllium husk provides a great constipation remedy. When consumed, it expands the stomach to help push out the body’s toxins. Moreover, it helps improve stool consistency and provides relief from constipation by absorbing water from the digestive tract. Just take a tablespoon at night for relief from constipation in the morning.
2. Psyllium husk provides a good remedy for acidity as it coat’s the stomach’s lining with a protective layer which protects the stomach from acidity’s burning sensation. It also reduces acidity by helping with the food digestion and stomach acid secretion process.
3. Not only does psyllium husk help treat constipation, it also helps treat diarrhea! Just consume it with yogurt for relief from an upset stomach. It works by adding bulk to the stool to harden runny stools. The yoghurt provides antibiotics which help heal the infection and provide quick relief from diarrhea.
4. Another health benefit of psyllium husk is in preventing heart diseases by reducing the body’s cholesterol levels. It helps prevent the body from absorbing food cholesterol by forming a thin layer on the intestinal wall. This reduces the blood cholesterol levels by eliminating harmful cholesterol from the body.
5. People suffering from piles get great relief from psyllium husk. It is its fibrous husk which helps clear up bowels and softens the stool by absorbing water from the intestine. All this makes defecation easy for those suffering from piles.
6. If you are on a weight loss program, psyllium husk is a great tool to help you reach your weight loss goals. It helps by keeping you satiated for a longer period and also helps curb your cravings for junk food. It’s also a good colon cleanser as it clears all the waste produces in the stomach to induce effective digestion for optimum health.
7. Even those suffering from diabetes benefit from psyllium husk as when consumed, it forms a gel-like substance which slows down the breakdown and absorption process of body glucose.
8. Last, but not least, the soluble and insoluble features of psyllium husk helps to not only cleanse your stomach, but also helps with the proper movement of food through the intestine.
With so many benefits and reasons to taking psyllium husk, you too may make it a part of your daily routine. Just make sure you use the non-flavored varieties as they are natural and work better than the flavored versions. And start by introducing only a tablespoon to your daily diet.