Suffering from heartburn during pregnancy can be rather irritating and uncomfortable. It creates a burning sensation in the chest and throat, and is actually triggered by the hormonal changes which take place during pregnancy. Heartburn is more prominent and troublesome in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.
Besides hormonal changes, the growing uterus also triggers heartburn or acid indigestion. As the condition is rather uncomfortable, women should try these natural home remedies for heartburn during pregnancy.
- Try chewing gum, especially the sugarless variety after meals. It is a simple natural home remedy which helps neutralize stomach acids.
- The simple task of eating ice cream too helps provide relief from heartburn during pregnancy.
- Drinking a glass of milk mixed with a tablespoon of honey is a very beneficial cure for heartburn during pregnancy. Even yogurt is a famous, and useful remedy for pregnancy heartburn.
- Chewing some basil leaves can considerably help at managing heartburn during pregnancy.
- Combine slippery elm powder with honey for relief from heartburn. The best way to do this is by steeping two tablespoons of the powder in two cups of boiling water for about 5 minutes and then adding some honey to the solution. You can also use slippery elm lozenges for an equally beneficial cure. This herb proves helpful at curing acid indigestion as it absorbs excess acid and reduces the inflamed lining of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Make fennel seed tea by adding 2-3 teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds in a cup of water, and boiling the mixture for about 10 minutes. Drinking this tea after meals provide a therapeutic herbal solution for controlling pregnancy heartburn and to provide relief from indigestion. However the tea should be drunk in limitations as pregnant women should not consume too much fennel.
- Another home remedy for relief from heartburn during pregnancy is ginger tea or a concoction of ginger and honey. Have this concoction about half an hour before a meal for optimum relief.
- Another home remedy does not involve consuming anything. You can get relief by keeping your head elevated while sleeping. Moreover it’s said, and noted that your digestion is improved if you sleep on your left side. Of course, it is not at all advised to lie down immediately after you have a meal.
- Apple cider vinegar is known, and famous for healing lots of conditions, inducing heartburn. Try mixing a tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey to a cup of warm water for a popular and effective natural remedy.
- If you love apples, you will be happy to know that eating apples not only keeps the doctor away, but heartburn too!
- Here are some effective diet tips which should be helpful at providing a natural cure and preventive measures for heartburn.
- Avoiding foods which trigger the problem is the best thing you can do. Examples of such foods are coffee, alcohol, carbonated drinks, hot sauces, tea, fried and fatty foods, chocolate, spicy and highly seasoned foods and so on. Even cigarette smoking encourages acidity, so quitting smoking helps too.
- It’s also good if you restrict your consumption of mustard, vinegar, tomato, grapefruit, orange, mint products and acidic and citrus foods. Instead ensure your diet contains a variety of fresh green and leafy vegetables.
- Similarly, include whole grain foods, almonds and cold milk to your diet. It proves helpful to you if you don’t rush through your meals. Eating slowly and thoroughly chewing your food helps.
- As like everything else in life, water is very important for heartburn. Water helps dilute all the acids in the body and reduce acidity. This is why it’s good to maintain a habit of drinking water at regular intervals for relief from acidity.
Last, but not least, avoiding large and heavy meals also help provide relief from heartburn after pregnancy. Avoid drinking too much of fluids in between meals as it makes you full quicker. It’s better to eat dinner about 2-3 hours before sleeping, so that the body has sufficient time to digest the food.
As much as it’s possible, wear loose and comfortable clothes for effective relief from heartburn during pregnancy. These home remedies do provide considerable relief from heartburn during pregnancy. However if the condition persists, it’s better to consult your doctor for further advice.